Thursday, January 21, 2016

My Name is Mickey, and I Have GAS
Gear Acquisition Syndrome




With the 2016 NAMM Show in full effect – thats the North American Music Merchants showcase, if you didnt know – I would like to broach a topic that countless millions of musicians struggle with. It is known as GAS,  or Gear Acquisition Syndrome. This happens when the latest, greatest, how-did-I-ever-live-without-it, irresistible new products are unleashed on the world, tantalizing GASsers the world over.

Maybe I dont have GAS. Or maybe I am in denial. Its hard to self-diagnose. 

Every time I get a new, or new-to-me, piece of gear, it never feels frivolous, but absolutely necessary. Perhaps that is a warning sign. Guitars always seem to be the hardest to justify – after the first 10 or so. But there is always a reason. Some rationalizations may be:

   I love my Taylor, but I need a Martin to cover the all the bases.

   For electrics, substitute Strat and Les Paul.

   This was a smoking deal; I can sell this and make hundreds. (Of course, I never will.)

   Well I need a travel size guitar, of course.

   This one goes up to eleven.

   How can I NOT have a 12-string? For electrics, substitute 7 strings; for bass 5 and 6.



Guitars, however, are just the tip of the iceberg. They are the gateway drug. Guitars lead to amps. Amps lead to stomp boxes, loopers, pedal boards, microphones, PA equipment, more amps, mixers... It never ends.

I am not going to even get into recording. I try to keep this blog PG, and there is no room for that kind of horror here.

OK, perhaps I suffer from a mild case of GAS. But I’m hoping I can keep it under reasonable control.

A friend of mine was telling me about his latest dream rig. It consisted of a high quality modeling guitar, amp, and a ridiculous effects processor. He was exited, as was I. This rig could emulate just about every guitar, amp, and effect that has ever been created. It could effectively cure his GAS. It would be the last rig he would ever need. I thought to myself, Whats the fun in that?”

To your success!

MICKEY


_________________
Visit Mickey's website to see his performance tracks - call TODAY to schedule him for your next event!

1 comment:

  1. I purchased a Groupon for guitar lessons through G4. I cant find a phone # to schedule the lessons. Please email me cc.heavenly@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete